FMP Advisory Working Group Resource Member Present: Pam Mery. FMP Advisory Working Group Resource Member Absent: Jorge Bell

Save this PDF as:
 WORD  PNG  TXT  JPG

Size: px
Start display at page:

Download "FMP Advisory Working Group Resource Member Present: Pam Mery. FMP Advisory Working Group Resource Member Absent: Jorge Bell"

Transcription

1 Page 1 of 8 1. Call to Order The meeting of the (FC) was called to order by Chair Linda da Silva at Ocean Campus, Multi-Use Building, Room 357 at 11:17am. FC Members/Alternates Present: Steven Brown (Co-Chair, Alternate), Lenny Carlson (Alternate), Rebeca Chavez (Member), Linda da Silva (Chair, Member), Joe Jah (Member), Madeline Mueller (Member), Becky Perelli (Member), James Rogers (Member), Brenna Stroud (Member) FC Members/Alternates Absent: Ted Aranas (Member), Erika Delacorte (Member), Jay Field (Member), Jeffrey Kelly (Alternate), Vicki Legion (Alternate), Muriel Parenteau (Member), Suzanne Pugh (Member), Bouchra Simmons (Member), Athena Steff (Member), Teresa Villicana (Alternate) FMP Advisory Working Group Resource Member Present: Pam Mery FMP Advisory Working Group Resource Member Absent: Jorge Bell Guests Present: David Agam, Yuen Chan, John Francis (City Planning), Amy Jane Frater (tbp), Charmaine Curtis (Curtis Development), Marian Lam, Phil Newsom (tbp), Julia Raskin (SF Bicycle Coalition), Myesha Smith, Alexander Mullaney (BPSCAC), Adina Pernell, Viktor Tsoi, Kristina Whalen Chair Linda da Silva made introductions and noted the absence of a number of Committee members. The Committee elected to start the meeting with Item 5 Public Comment, allowing time for additional members to arrive. 2. Adoption of Agenda Joe Jah moved to adopt the amended agenda; seconded by Becky Perelli. Steven Brown and Brenna Stroud were absent during the vote; Committee voted in favor of the motion. 5. Public Comment a. Pam Mery, Dean of Institutional Effectiveness, presented to the Committee the Quality Focus Essay, an initiative aimed at addressing achievement gaps and student success. CCSF s facilities is one of the areas identified for action. In Spring 2017, Action Project One will identify facilities obstacles short term. How to move conversations forward is still to be determined. The Academic Senate consensus on this item is central to move the College forward on an institutional level. This will dovetail with Action Project Two: creating spaces that will build the relationship between academic instruction and student services and creating spaces for student success will be developed in Fall Pam Mery will forward materials to Linda da Silva to share with the Committee. The Quality Focus Essay is available from the CCSF website at under the 2016 Self Evaluation link. Madeline Mueller commented that student success can include addressing parking spaces. 1

2 2 Page 2 of 8 3. Unfinished Business a. Acceptance of as an official PGC Standing Committee; review, discussion and possible action on PGC member comments regarding Facilities Committee Description and Purpose (Item 7 on PGC Draft Meeting Minutes). i. At the last meeting, the took no action or decision on recommendations on the item. ii. The Committee continued to go over the details of this item. The question from Councilmember Simon Hanson was discussed if the will make budget and financial decisions. Linda da Silva reviewed the FC roles and description. Budget is included by reference in accreditation standards to which committee contributes. It was commented that the Committee does not review budgets as that is the responsibility of the Board. Will need to go back to the PGC to change purpose to specifically reference money or budget responsibility. Madeline Mueller brought up the comment from Muriel Parenteau suggesting to add the phrase in accordance with the budgetary report. It was commented that budgetary reports are inferred in other documents. It was proposed to add Muriel Parenteau s suggested item in VI.b or other alternates. iii. The PGC also questioned why there are only two students in the membership. Madeline Mueller stated when we do not have enough of a quorum we cannot vote and noted that no student members are currently here at the meeting. Linda da Silva went over the membership make-up to address the question if the membership is balanced. Madeline Mueller pointed out that for quorum purposes, the current membership makes sense and proves the point on the difficulty of getting a quorum. Rebeca Chavez suggested to have more alternates as it is a tough time of the year to get people to meetings. It was proposed to record the discussion on this item and come back to it later or at next meeting. b. Review of CCSF Response to BPSCAC October 2016 Motion (transit discount program). i. The CCSF responses were distributed and discussed at the last meeting. ii. BPSCAC passed this motion for CCSF to create a transit discount similar to the SFSU Gator Pass, which is funded by student fees. The Associated Students of SFSU elected to self-fund a discount transit pass for all SFSU students. Linda da Silva noted that student members Bouchra Simmons and Brenna Stroud are not here, nor Alternate Teresa Villicana, and that the item should be tabled until they arrive to this meeting. Rebeca Chavez is in full support of a transit pass as a resource to students and the Associated Students are currently in discussion of an activity fee, putting this up for vote in April. Linda da Silva will communicate the information regarding the BPSCAC motion to Bouchra Simmons and Brenna Stroud. Rebeca Chavez added that communication should include Nessa Julian as well. Joe Jah liked this idea very much and questioned if a pass can be extended for faculty and staff as well. It was mentioned that staff has a similar pre-income tax benefits package through the flex spending plan. James Rogers clarified that the motion does specifically include faculty and staff. Linda da Silva

3 Page 3 of 8 commented that the SFSU Gator pass is only for students. Lind da Silva will take it to the student council and inquired if Joe Jah would be interested in making a recommendation. Joe Jah responded that it could be discussed at a future meeting to talk about transportation. Myesha Smith inquired if a CCSF pass would cover transit in the East Bay or Peninsula. Linda da Silva suggested that a CCSF Ram pass does not need to be exactly like a Gator Pass but did not have enough details of the Gator Pass to make a determination. Kristina Whalen noted that there is currently enough of a quorum as there are seven members in attendance including Chair Linda da Silva. Pam Mery stated that the Chair counts. 4. New Business a. Approval of minutes of November 14, 2016 meeting. Madeline Mueller moved to approve the minutes; seconded by Joe Jah. Committee voted in favor of the motion. b. Review of CCSF Biannual Update to City of SF 10-Year Capital Plan. Linda da Silva reviewed the full update to the City, which includes the Overview and Accomplishments section, the Renewal Program section, and the Financial plan. There was no discussion on this item. c. Discuss implications for facilities from November 2016 election results Madeline Mueller wondered if Prop B for the extension of the parcel tax is perhaps rare to have a supermajority parcel tax passed compared statewide. Linda da Silva cited that other districts have done this before. Madeline Mueller noted the City strongly supported an extension with the second highest number of votes. The implication is that there is potential and reality of political support for facilities money. This institution got over 200,000 votes and that perhaps will help with our reservoir issues as well. Linda da Silva commented on the overwhelming positive support of the community to CCSF, the great response to accreditation and the Facilities Master Plan effort from this group and tbp s work along with funding through State Capital Outlay, local GO bonds and other sources for facilities. Madeline Mueller added that we can count on voters to support City College. Becky Perelli stated that the true implication for her is they need to hear the conversations for the needs in the Balboa Reservoir and to have really strong support when we are digging the ground. d. PAEC Update Madeline Mueller distributed handouts relating to the PAEC that she says Wynd Kaufmyn had put together. Madeline Mueller stated that back of house entry level jobs and intern programs have been discussed in meetings with labor in the area. Linda da Silva distributed the December 7, 2016 PAEC Cost Study from tbp, which provides qualitative analysis of code changes that took effect in 2010 and 2013 by architectural, structural, MEP and FLS disciplines; and includes a cost estimate. Madeline Mueller inquired if there is a second cost estimate. Phil Newsom responded that the project s AoR provided a cost estimate in 2013, and CCSF asked tbp for a new estimate. Madeline 3

4 Page 4 of 8 Mueller stated that Mark Zacovic used the 2007 original plan for the cost estimate instead of basing the estimate on plans that were changed from the 2007 plans and construction made cheaper. She reasons that since $21 million has already been spent on soft costs, it will not be as expensive and phasing will give us flexibility for funding and the building will be good for students and at what we can afford. Madeline Mueller reiterated to consider value engineering and phasing to reduce the cost of construction. e. Legal issues over MUB? No discussion. f. Reservoir. Madeline Mueller has concerns about the RFQ process with questions over the TDM and requested that it be brought forward for review. Linda da Silva informed the Committee that the Balboa Reservoir RFQ was issued November 10 th to solicit qualification statements from interested developers. Linda da Silva was appointed by the City to serve on the developer evaluation panel, representing CCSF; in this role, she will be well positioned to report back to CCSF on the Balboa Reservoir development and to represent CCSF s interests in the development. Developer Statements of Qualification are due on January 18, Madeline Mueller questioned if the Balboa Reservoir CAC s concerns are referenced in the RFQ. Linda da Silva responded that the BRCAC convened in excess of 12 months to develop the Principles & Parameters for the project, which includes a Preamble by BRCAC Chair Lisa Spinali; the CCSF Board s July 2016 Resolution is also included in the RFQ. Madeline Mueller expressed concern that the RFQ is not getting to people who want to apply. Linda da Silva noted that the City engaged transportation consultant Nelson Nygaard to develop the TDM study. The initial document - the first of two parts - reports on the current conditions of transit modes in the area and is publicly available. Part 2, TDM recommendations, is in development. Madeline Mueller distributed the handout Guest Editorial: TDM is a Roadmap from a neighbor on information for the committee to be aware of. g. Review 2016 Space Inventory Report. Linda da Silva distributed the first 43 pages of the 2016 space inventory report to the Committee. Every year the space inventory is submitted to the State to re-certify our space inventory. The link to the full 190 page document is available at the website. Brenna Stroud asked about the John O Connell Center and if it was transferred to Evans a few years back. Linda da Silva clarified that the official center name for Evans is John O Connell. Pam Mery confirmed that the different center names have not been updated by the State. Linda da Silva directed attention to page 11 to the room use summary report that details the ASF at each site at Ocean Campus and Centers. This report tracks inventory and capacity to load ratios. It was further explained that room use group 100 are classrooms, 200 labs, 300 office, 400 library and learning, 500 media/gymnasium, 600 meeting rooms/bookstore/cafeteria, 700 data center/warehouses/storage, 800 health center/laundry. The PGC recommended that standing committees develop an orientation package for members, and Linda noted that information on Space Inventory would be included in the Member Orientation Packet. Madeline Mueller supposed that when 33 Gough operations move to this campus, the spaces will be re-inventoried as office space. Amy Jane Frater pointed out that the report tracks 4

5 5 Page 5 of 8 type of use, not type of facility. Linda da Silva furthered that the report summary is by site, the room use detail reports on every room that is its own record in the database by taxonomy code, and the building summary report is auto generated by FUSION. Brenna Stroud questioned if the space usage indicates what the use is now or what the space can be used for; she cited a room at Evans Center that is listed as merchandise (indicated on page 45 of the report), but she is not aware of any such space. Linda da Silva expressed that in the interest of time, training and handouts will be provided for description for all categories of spaces as defined by the State following space inventory rules and definitions. Brenna Stroud inquired about the change of use of spaces and Amy Jane Frater replied that space use change can occur through reprogramming. Linda da Silva added that the capacity to load ratio should not be over capacity, and we need to reprogram and use space for the number of students we serve. Discussion to continue further at next meeting. h. Discuss possible joint meeting with Works of Art Committee. Item is deferred to the next meeting. i. Report out on Joint PGC/ Meeting on FMP. The purpose of the joint meeting was to bring the PGC up to speed on the FMP and field questions and concerns. The link to the meeting notes are on the Facilities website. There was nothing monumental or course correcting brought up at the meeting. Madeline Mueller inquired about the FMP presentation scheduled for the November Board meeting. Linda advised that the November Board meeting ran behind schedule and the FMP presentation was moved to the December meeting. j. Reschedule February 20 and March 27 meetings. Linda da Silva suggested to reschedule the upcoming meetings on February 20 and March 27 to not interfere with teaching or holiday schedules. In early January will conduct online poll as faculty s schedules are locked in now. Marian Lam will reschedule in January the February and March meetings. Madeline Mueller noted that the February Committee meeting is on the 27 th, not the 20 th, and so it does not fall on a holiday. The March 27 th meeting will require rescheduling. k. FMP Update. Linda da Silva introduced the four items to be discussed. i. The first item is the upcoming CCSF/City Planning/SFMTA/PUC charrettes to explore items on all consolidated comments from the various agencies. The focus will be external: where CCSF s edges touch the neighboring community, and CCSF s transit impact on the neighboring community. The charrettes will be attended by Facilities Planning staff, tbp and tbp s civil engineering consultant. Linda da Silva will report back what was discussed to the Committee. Phil Newsom added that discussions will include creating better crossings, relocation of freeway off-ramp, pedestrian bridge, key entry points, TDM and parking and flesh out how those ideas will work in partnership with the City.

6 6 Page 6 of 8 a. Madeline Mueller mentioned that we are in the City charter but should check in with Sacramento as we are part of the State system. Linda da Silva clarified that we do not need to include the State Chancellor s Office in our development of the FMP. Phil Newsom noted that the State review includes environmental review through CEQA, an environmental impacts evaluation and mitigation process. b. Rebeca Chavez commented that we will have issues with parking and when the reservoir was half available, students parked in neighborhood areas and we need a clear plan of keeping parking for current students and increasing enrollment. Linda da Silva projected a draft preference graphic indicating that 1004 parking spaces are currently in the PUC-owned Balboa Reservoir. The draft preferred FMP includes various parking structures, premised on a 10-year projection which is in excess of our peak in This plan is based on the State Chancellor s enrollment projection in 10 years. It was commented that the Balboa Reservoir developer may understand the parking impact and come up with a solution on the property that is not ours. Rebeca Chavez noted that our current enrollment is down and our parking lots are not full, but the emphasis to the City is how important parking is for us. Linda da Silva supposed that the City may fund some of our parking structures and the BRCAC resolution further indicates how City College will be impacted as we will lose 34% of our total parking count. Rebeca Chavez is currently working on an RFP for daily parking permits and wondered where will students park. Linda da Silva noted that the Sandis Engineers parking demand report can inform tbp for proposed parking structures locations. Myesha Smith questioned if it was architecturally possible to add an additional 1000 parking spaces. Phil Newsom responded that is possible with adding more decks at a current estimated cost of $60,000 or more per stall; tbp and their consultants are developing FMP-level parking structure analysis of yield and cost. Madeline Mueller stated that it is ironic that we are currently on land that is PUC owned and it took three resolutions of the voters of the City of San Francisco to transfer the land to CCSF; and as part of negotiations with the City to compromise for the remaining land to share with CCSF a portion of reservoir land. It was stated that City College originally owned the northern half of the Reservoir and the PUC owned the southern portion. Madeline Mueller questioned that statement and said PUC owned the north and CCSF owned the south and traded the Ocean Avenue frontage. c. Lenny Carlson stated that the PAEC funded by two bond measures can be built in his lifetime just north of MUB, sharing the HVAC system and with Jane Kim s initiative for Free City College, there will be more student population and several years of construction disruption when the building is built that will affect the upper reservoir parking. d. Brenna Stroud could not find the presentation for the Board of Trustees meeting on December 17 th for Ocean Campus and Centers.

7 7 Page 7 of 8 She is concerned that facilities needs at Centers are still not being addressed in the FMP. Linda da Silva reviewed the FMP presentation and pointed to slide 5 which is specific to Centers. Amy Jane Frater responded that the facilities condition assessment supported the recommendations to each of the Centers with the Education Master Plan driving the FMP, with facilities supporting the educational mission. The Education Master Plan has enough information for Ocean educational planning. The opportunity to advance the Centers with locations of programs are still being processed through the education planning process. The Facilities Condition Index cites physical conditions of buildings, and the FMP goals applies to Centers. The FMP team is currently proceeding with engineering reports and preparing the recommendations for the recommendation stage. Linda da Silva provided an update for centers at leased facilities. i. By June 2018, CCSF is to vacation Airport Center. ii. CCSF s Fort Mason lease expires in June 2017; the landlord has expressed how deeply discounted CCSF s lease rate is, and that the market rate is 2-3 times what CCSF s has been paying. Decisions need to be made if we have viable programs at these Centers and what types of programs. iii. CCSF owns Evans Center, but we do not own Southeast Center. The City and PUC has plans around Evans that may affect the neighborhood and programs. We have to look at the conditions at the Centers, the lack of student services, education planning, and lease status on decisions that is driven by the Education Plan. Brenna Stroud wondered how far set in stone are these decisions with things changing every few years and Centers let go year after year and there is a need to start working Centers into the plan. Madeline Mueller suggested Pam Mery to bring this issue to the Planning Committee. Brenna Stroud reiterated the importance of the Centers and that Centers feed students to Ocean but the current state of Centers are turning people away from CCSF. With Centers located throughout the neighborhood they are the face of the College but potential students are going three miles away to San Mateo and will go elsewhere as it appears that the college has already given up and shutting down. e. Linda da Silva reported on the November 18th and December 5th FMP workshops with the management team and student services. Madeline Mueller inquired who are part of the management team and it was clarified that the management team meets every first Monday and consists of the Chancellor, VCs, AVCs, Deans and Directors. Linda da Silva informed the Committee of her FMP roadshow at First Fridays, to the Academic Senate, requested to present for the Classified Senate, Balboa Reservoir CAC, Balboa Park Station CAC, and the DCC Department Chairs Council at some point

8 Page 8 of 8 (Co- Chair Steven Brown will coordinate the invitation). The FMP updates were also presented to SF Capital Planning. Linda da Silva stressed the importance of transparency and to engage as many people as possible in the FMP development process. 6. Adjournment Meeting adjourned at 1:50 PM. 8